Cabbage is a crop which simply requires less pesticide spraying, therefore carries a low pesticide residue, putting it into the ‘clean fifteen’. Cabbage comes in a number of varieties including red, green and savoy, and regularly including each of them may provide a cross section of glucosinolates.
Glucosinolates are found in broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and may work to affect the body’s own antioxidant systems, acting “indirectly” to activate the body’s detoxification systems. This cascade of antioxidant activity may cycle over and over, continuing to circulate in your system as many as 3 to 4 days after the glucosinolate-containing food has been consumed.
Cabbage is a great vegetable to include in the diet and is suitable for most nutritional programmes. As a cheap and easy salad I enjoy it shredded finely with a little chopped onion and a tablespoon of caraway seeds. A dressing of flaxseed oil and lemon juice with a dash of ‘Lo-Salt’ and some ground black pepper adds to the flavour.
The Worlds Healthiest Foods website has a lot more information and also includes some recipes, including the one below:
5-Minute Healthy Sautéed Red Cabbage
- 4 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 5 TBS low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Mediterranean Dressing
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped or pressed
- Sea salt, and pepper to taste
- 2 TBS grated ginger
- 1 TBS sesame seeds
- 5 drops Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 1 TBS chopped coriander
- Quarter cabbage, slice into 1/4-inch strips, and let sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out the hidden health benefits of cabbage.
- Chop or press garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cabbage with 1 TBS lemon juice before cooking to prevent it from turning blue.
- Heat 5 TBS broth over medium heat in a stainless steel skillet. When broth begins to steam, add cabbage and cover. Sauté for no more than 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor, toss cabbage with the dressing ingredients and any of the optional ingredients you desire while it is still hot. (Mediterranean Dressing does not need to be made separately.)